BROWN COUNTY, OHIO

OHGenWeb Project

Biographies

C

CAMPBELL, Alexander

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

Alexander Campbell, M.D. (deceased). One of the most distinguished pioneers of Brown County was Hon. Alexander Campbell, the first physician of Ripley. He was born in Greenbrier County, Va., in 1774, and removed near Lexington, Ky., with his parents when a boy. He was a colleague with Henry Clay at Pisgah, nine miles southwest of Lexington. He read medicine and attended lectures in Lexington Medical College, while the distinguished Kentucky orator practiced law there. August 6, 1801, he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Dunlap. Soon after this event, he removed to Cynthiana, Ky., and practiced his profession two years; then, in 1803, he came to Brown County and located 300 acres of land in Union Township. He established a store and ran it in connection with his profession till 1815, when he removed to Ripley, then known as Staunton. Here he continued mercantile pursuits as one of the first merchants of Ripley, going to Philadelphia, Penn., on horseback, to purchase goods. He was Ripley's first physician. In his profession he stood eminent, and established a wide and successful practice. At one time, he was tendered the Professorship of one of the most important branches of medicine in the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, but owing to his vast practice he declined. He was chosen a Representative and served in the Legislature when that body convened at Chillichothe. He was subsequently elected to the State Senate, and in that body he filled the office of speaker. In 1809, he was chosen United States Senator and did valuable service in that important capacity for four years. During his Congressional duties, as there were no railroads, he rode on horseback all the way to Washington, D.C. He was Mayor of Ripley from 1838-40, where his death occurred November 5, 1857.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 56.

CAMPBELL, James B. of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

James B. Campbell, saloon and billiard hall, Fayetteville, son of James and Margaret (Call) Campbell, was born in Perry Township, three miles southeast of Fayetteville, February 14, 1858. When eighteen years old, he attended the Hillsboro, Winchester and Georgetown schools, six months each; he then taught school two terms. In October, 1881, he built his present place of business, sample room and billiard hall on Pike street, 60x25 feet, two stories; the upper story is used for a ball-room and court room; here he keeps the choicest brands of liquors, cigars, tobacco, etc., and is doing a flourishing business; he is a member of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 133.

CAMPBELL, John of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

John Campbell, farmer, P.O. Fayetteville, son of James and Margaret Campbell, was born in Donegal County, Ireland, in 1808. In 1837, he came to this county and worked in the coal mines of Northhampton County, Penn., with his brother James, several months, when they went to Maysville, Ky., where they were engaged on public works. In 1841, he returned to Ireland, and the following year he married, to Hannah Boyle. They have ten children, all born in this township—Ann, Margaret, Mary, Catherine, Ellen, Celia, James, Charles, Daniel and John. In 1843, the year following his marriage, he returned to this country and settled in this township on a farm of 143 acres, which his brother had bought for him during his absence; he has built a fine brick residence, and made a number of other improvements. The family are all members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 133.

CAREY, Stephen E.

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

Stephen E. Carey, M.D. (deceased). Among the medical fraternity of Brown County there are none who figured more prominently as did the subject of this sketch while living. He was born August 20, 1820, in Eagle Township. Having received his rudimentary education, he attended for some time the Physio-Medical College in Cincinnati and at a later period became a professor therein. In September, 1851, he married Elizabeth E. Records, by whom he had two children--Emmons L. (at present engaged in the milling business at Fincastle), and Alice B. (wife of Mr. William Peddicord, now of Eagle Township). Mr. Carey resided in Cincinnati for perhaps twenty years, and in Indianapolis seven years; the remainder of his life has been spent in Brown County. He practiced medicine with great success at Fincastle for many years. He departed this life December 19, 1881; his widow survives him and at present resides near South Fincastle.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 224.

CARLIER, Eugene of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Eugene Carlier, carpenter, Fayetteville, son of Matthew and Margaret Carlier, was born in Belgium in 1822. In 1852, his parents, two brothers and one sister came to this country and settled in this township, where the three sons, Eugene, Frank and Joseph, bought fifty-five acres of land, three miles southeast of Fayetteville. Mr. Carlier was married in this township, October 12, 1858, to Jane C. Dennis, by whom he has four children—Nicholas, Jestine, Eugene and Joseph. Mr. Carlier now has a fine farm of 160 acres, about 100 of which are under cultivation; he also has two acres in the northeastern part of the village; his sons do the farming, while Mr. Carlier works at his trade, having followed it a number of years. The family are members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 133.

CLARKE, Thomas of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Thomas Clarke, farmer, P.O. St. Martin's, son of Miles and Margaret Clarke, was born in Ireland August 12, 1832; he came to the United States in 1852, and worked at the carpenter's trade in Cincinnati several years, having learned the trade in Ireland; he was married in Cincinnati, in 1858, to Eliza Brogan, by whom he has had ten children, nine still living; their names are as follows: Miles, John, Mary, William, Aggie, Joseph, Theresa, Francis and Carrie. They came to this township in 1861, and several years later, bought fifty-six acres of land where he now lives, in the northeastern part of the township. The family are members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 133.

COLTHAR, John, Sr.

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

John Colthar, Sr., was the first white settler in the present limits of Clark Township. He and his sons, Matthew, Isaac, James and John, were natives of New Jersey, and settled in the northwestern part of the township in the fall of 1801 or spring of 1802. The father was a good type of the hardy pioneer farmer, straightforward, honest and industrious; many of his descendants are still citizens of the township. Matthew Colthar, son of the above, was born in Essex County, N. J., in 1777; he married Mary Church in 1816, and by her had the following children: Harrison, Rebecca, Jonathan, Harriet, Eliza, Sarah, John P. and Sophia. Mr. Colthar mysteriously disappeared November 9, 1831. He was serving on the jury at Georgetown, and, on being dismissed Saturday, was seen to leave the court house just at dusk as if going home, but he was never heard of afterward. The county was scoured in every direction, but not a trace of him could be found.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 521-522.

COLTHAR, John Phillips, Sr.

submitted by Lee Liming

John Phillips Colthar, Sr. (1744-1830) and Descendants By Margaret Meranda Burbage In March 1986, my son, Kenneth Burbage, and I found the old burial grounds of my great-great-great-great grandfather, John Phillips Colthar Sr. and his family. Hilda (Musgrove) Blankney's mother had described it, Dorothy Henderson had pin-pointed the location "near the small fishing lake at the NW corner of Starling Rd. and Elm Corner" in Clark Twp., Brown Co. Ohio. Charles Henderson and Anne Gray (descendants) had discovered it and sent pictures of the creek stones arranged in about three rows on the north creek bank under tall cedars. We stood in awe and with an indescribable feeling of wonderment, we walked where our early ancestors had lived and died. Beers' History of Brown Co. Ohio 1883 says that John Colthar was "the first white settler in the present limits of Clark Township" which was then in Clermont County, Ohio. John was a "good type of the hardy pioneer farmer, straight-forward, honest and industrious". Anne Gray's study of Deed Records proves that John P. Colthar bought this land (near the present Clermont Co. line) in 1802. It is part of Lytle's Survey #2939. John P. Colthar Sr. (1744-1830) married 1786 Barbary _________ in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Bible records name their fourteen children, some who came with them through Kentucky to Ohio: Margaret 1768, Sarah 1769, Mary 1771, Phebe 1772-1777, John Phillips, Jr. 1774-1865, Joseph P. 1776-1777, Matthew 1778 married 1816 Mary Church (daughter of Jonathan Church and Rebecca Coulter believed to have been slain by Indians in 1831). Phebe Phillips 1780-1811 may have been the first one buried in these grounds. Ephrem Phillips 1782-1795, Isaac 1783-1816 married 1805 Mary Holms, 2 children. Isable 1786-1822 married 1805 Absalom Brooke, James 1788-1821 war of 1812, married 1812 Agnes Shotwell, 5 children. Harrison M. 1792-1795, Hannah 1794 married 1828 William Buchanan. John Phillips Colthar, Jr. (1774-1865) John Phillips Colthat, Jr. (1774-1865) married 1st 1799 Phoebe Shotwell (daughter of Jasper Shotwell and "Clerry"). They are buried in Olive Branch Cemetery in Clermont Co. Their four children were: Jasper S. 1802-1878 married 1820 Margaret Moyer 1802-1863 (daughter of Henry Moyer and Salome Earhart). Mary "Polly" 1803-1863 married 1820 David Earhart. Margaret 1804-1822, Clarisa 1805-1820. After 1st wife Phoebe died 1807, John Phillips Colthar, Jr married 2nd 1808 Rancy Church (daughter of Jonathan Church and Rebecca Coulthar). Their children were: John B. 1809-1886 married 1st Susannah Day, 6 children, married 2nd Zeruiah Sims, 4 children. James F. 1812-1884 married Matilda Brooks (daughter of John Brooks Sr.) 2 children. Sara 1814-1836 married Tucker, 2 children. Bible records show that John Phillips Colthar, Jr. married 3rd 1816 Ruth Stevens and 4th 1825 Pamilla "Permillia" Tucker. Jasper S. (Shotwell?) Colthar (1802-1878) Jasper S. Colthar (1802-1878) and wife, Margaret Moyer, are buried in Olive Branch Cemetery in Clermont Co. Ohio. Their eight children were: John M. 1822-1906 married 1844 Julie Ann Neal (daughter of William Neal Sr. see his bio and Jane Brooks), Henry H. 1824-1908 married 1846 Achsah Derry 1828-1907, Julia Ann 1827-1898 married 1849 Lewis Neal (son of William Neal Sr. and Jane Brooks). James 1831-1833, Margaret Jr. 1834-1850, Elizabeth 1837-1863 married Joseph Early. George Hiram 1839-1923 married 1867 Margaret Ellen Young (daughter of Omega Young and Nancy Stayton), William M. 1842-1927 married 1870 Jane Cadwallader. Henry H. Colthar (1824-1908) Henry H. Colthar (1824-1908) and wife, Achsah Derry raised their children near Locust Ridge in Pike Twp. Brown Co. Ohio. They and many family members are buried in New Harmony Cemetery in Brown Co. Ohio. Their 6 children are: Mary Ellen 1849-1904 married George Earhart (son of Adam Earhart and Nancy Shotwell), Margaret Olive 1852-1927 married Andrew J. Robinson (grandparents of the author, Margaret Meranda Burbage, see her bio as well as Dr. Thomas Robinson) John C. 1856-1910 married 1881 Louisa B. McKinley, Elizabeth 1858-1933 married William Rose, George J. 1866-1935 married 1894 Almeda Waits, Cora L. 1868-1958 married 1896 Franklin E. Singleton. Mary Ellen Colthar (1849-1957) Mary Ellen Colthar (1824-1908) married 1870 George Earhart (son of Adam Earhart and Nancy Shotwell). Their children are: Elizabeth Pearl 1875-1957 married Ora Lee Liming (son of Franklin Pierce Liming and Emily Jane Neal, daughter of Sanford Neal and Mary Alice Reed) See Ora Lee Liming bio. Ora E. Earhart 1871-1945 married Helen "Hattie" Blanche Neal (daughter of Randolph Neal and Mary Jane Redmon). Fronia Maebelle 1879-1935 married 1909 Dallas M. Liming (son of Aaron Liming and Ellen C. Reed)

CONRARD, Charles of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Charles Conrard, farmer, P.O. Fayetteville, son of Joseph and Mary A. Conrard, was born in France in 1825. In 1832, his parents came to this country and settled in this township, about one mile southwest of Vera Cruz, where they bought sixty acres of land; his father died in 1874, and his mother in 1852; he was married in this township in 1850, to Frances Berger. They have had nine children, six living—Catherine, Mary A., Josephine, Julius, Louisa and Edmund. The deceased were Charles, Frances L. and Fannie. In 1852, Mr. Conrard bought 115 acres of the farm where he now lives, upon which he moved his family. By industry and economy he has added to it, till he now possesses 450 acres of fine land, 300 of which are under cultivation. The family are members of the Catholic Church of Fayetteville. Mr. Conrard's father was an old soldier under Napoleon I. After serving two years, he was captured and sent to Spain, where he was held as a prisoner ten years; he taught school a number of years before, and after he was in the war.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 133.

COOGAN, James of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

James Coogan, farmer, P.O. Fayetteville, son of Hugh and Bridget (Dyer) Coogan, was born in Wicklow County, Ireland, in 1807. He was raised on a farm, and was also engaged with his father quite extensively in the butchering business. He was married, July 29, 1836, to Elizabeth Ward, by whom he had six children, four living—Eliza, Hugh, John and Bridget. They emigrated to this country in 1842 and settled in Cincinnati, where they resided a number of years and where his wife died of cholera in 1851. He again married in Cincinnati in 1853, to Elizabeth, daughter of Laughlin and Ellen (O'Connol) Byrne. They have had nine children, seven living—Mary A., Julia, Ellen, James, Michael, William and Joseph. In 1855, he came to this township and bought sixty acres of land three miles southeast of Fayetteville, where he now lives. Family are all members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 134.

COWDREY, Smith J.

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

Smith J. Cowdrey, a native of Connecticut, was among the first settlers in the northwestern part of Pike township. He was born in 1785 and went from his native state to New York; thence to Indiana, from there to Kentucky, where he was married in 1817 to Mary Brush (originally Beatty) and during the same year came to Pike township and settled on the farm now owned by Matthew Dyer. He lived in the township most of the time thereafter until his death in 1860 at the age of seventy-five and was taken to his final resting place near New Harmony. Although twenty-two years have elapsed since Mr. Cowdrey's death, his wife is still living among her children here; she is now in here ninety-second year. William, James, Clara (now Brooks), Joseph, Achsah, Mary and Olive are the children of Smith and Mary Cowdrey; the first three are residents.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 561.

CROPPER, John P.

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

John P. Cropper, farmer, P.O. Russellville. Handy J. Cropper, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Maryland in June, 1804. His parents were John and Eliza Cropper, who emigrated from Maryland to Adams County, Ohio and settled in Sprig Township about the year 1819. When a mere infant,his mother died. He received but a limited education, and on April 15, 1830, married Jane Boyls, daughter of Thomas and Annie Boyls, by whom he had seven children--Thomas B., John P., Sarah A., Nancy J. (deceased) Emeline, Lucinda and Reuben O. He was a member of the M.E. Church, and died December 9, 1876. John P., second child of Handy J. Cropper, and subject of this sketch, was born in December, 1832, in Adams County. In October, 1852, he married Hester J. Ellis, born March 11, 1833, daughter of Walker and Evaline Ellis, of Pleasant Township, Brown County. This union has been blessed with nine children, viz.: Eva J., Lucy F., Walker R., Handy J., Wilson M., Samuel R., John M., Martha E. (deceased) and Thomas W. Eva J. is the wife of Dr. James H. Wlliamson, of Higginsport, Brown County. Lucy F., officiates as Organist in the Presbyterian Chapel at Russellville. In the spring of 1864, Mr. Cropper bought 115 acres of land where he at present is located. He has served for three years as Justice of the Peace for Jefferson Township, has been a Township Trustee, and was elected Land Appraiser for 1880.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 236.

CROSS, John A. of Eagle Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

John A. Cross, deceased, was born in May, 1842, in Eagle Township, Brown Co., Ohio. He was the son of Jesse and Hannah (Alexander) Cross; was reared to man's estate on a farm, and received but a limited education. On June 12, 1867, he married Louisa Kinzer, born September 25, 1844, daughter of David and Elizabeth Kinzer. To them have been born two children—Jesse and Charles. He has served as Trustee of this township, and filled with credit other official positions. During the war of the rebellion, he enlisted in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry; while in the service, he contracted an illness which finally caused his death. He was a kind and loving father and indulgent husband. He departed this life November 5, 1878. His widow survives him, and resides on her farm of sixty-seven acres, pleasantly situated near South Fincastle.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 225.

CULTER, Allen M.

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

Allen M. Culter, farmer, P.O. Russellville, was born October 2, 1823, in Brown County, in what is now known as Jefferson Township. His father, Irwin Culter, was of Irish, and his mother Nancy was of Welch progenitors. Allen M. was about six months old when his father died. When seventeen years of age, he was apprenticed to his brother James Culter, at Russellville, to learn the harness-making trade, with whom he remained about four and a half years. He then moved to Decatur, Byrd Township, where he carried on harness-making for perhaps nine years. In February, 1847, while residing at Decatur, he married Miss Mary Geeslin, by whom he had seven children, four of whom are still living, viz.: Nancy E., Ackless E., Frank O., and Mary J. In 1855, he moved to the farm on which he at present resides located near Russellville. In connection with his farm duties he carried on the harness-making for perhaps five years, but owing to ill-health was obliged to close his shop and now devotes his time entirely to agricultural pursuits.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 236.

CURRY, Robert

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

In 1801, Robert Curry settled on the James Curry Survey of 1,000 acres just south of Georgetown. Maj. James Curry was an officer in the Revolutionary War and this survey was made on his warranty for military services, but he disposed of the tract to his nephew, Robert, who, in 1799, left his home in Rockingham County, Va., with his wife, Phoebe, and several small children, and with his young brother, John, for the seat of their purchase. They remained two years in Bourbon County, Ky., where John was accidentally killed, and, in 1801, arrived at their future home. Mr. Curry spent four years clearing and improving the place, but was cut off by a sudden attack of fever, leaving his wife and family of helpless children to struggle on in the wilderness as best she could. Mrs. Curry survived until July, 1822. They had six children--Abigail married William Florer and moved to Kentucky; Mary became the wife of William Moore, of (Pleasant) township; Lucinda married Elijah Evans, and died on the home farm in 1860; William moved to Clermont County; Rebecca married Andrew Moore, and Phoebe, Samuel Colvin, both of Pleasant Township.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 375.

CUSHING, John of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

John Cushing, farmer, P.O. Fayetteville, son of Edward and Margaret Cushing, was born in Limerick County, Ireland, in 1807. He was married in 1832, to Margaret Rourk, by whom he had seven children, two now living—Mary and John. They came to the United States in 1837, and remained in New York City three years; then moved to Cincinnati, where they resided till 1850, when Mr. Cushing came to this township and bought 100 acres of land one mile northeast of Fayetteville. He now has 150 acres. His wife died December 2, 1881, and was interred in Fayetteville. The family are members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 134.

Brown County, Ohio

Yolanda Campbell Lifter, Brown County Coordinator

Copyright 2005-2010 Yolanda Campbell Lifter
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my consent.