OHGenWeb Project


Mrs. James SCOTT

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Clothing Caught Fire

Young Mother at Denver, so badly Burned that Death Ensued Short Time

The funeral of Mrs. James Scott was held at Denver, on Sunday being the last sad chapter in a tragedy which greatly shocked this little Ross county village on the southern confines of the county.

Mrs. Scott was the victim of an accident the day before Christmas. She was engaged in hanging paper in her cozy little home on that day and in some manner her clothing caught fire from an overheated stove. She tried to put out the flames herself without success, and the cries for help were not heard, the house being tightly closed against the cold. When neighbors finally did hear her screams for help she was so badly burned that there was no chance for her recovery and death ended her sufferings.

The case is a very sad one indeed as the mother was but 21 years of age and her death leaves two small children motherless.

Republican Herald, Waverly, Ohio, 1 January 1920, page 3, column 5.

Pike County, Ohio

Yolanda Campbell Lifter, Pike County Coordinator

Copyright 2006 Yolanda Campbell Lifter
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my consent.